Latest Photosfrom my Flickr Stream
The Pulitzer Prizes were just announced, and I was happy (but not at all surprised) to learn that Matthew Desmond and his book Evicted: Poverty & Profit in the American City won in the category of General Nonfiction. Besides being a well-deserved honor, it means this important work will continue to provoke discussion and stir our national conscience.
I’ve been honored to work with Desmond in creating the site Just Shelter, along with his colleagues at Harvard’s Justice & Poverty Project, who did so much of the grunt-work of compiling housing assistance resources and other assets for the site.
If Desmond’s work moves you, be sure to visit justshelter.org and learn about the Evicted Book Foundation, as well as discover organizations working to provide housing resources in your area.
Link: “Desmond wins Pulitzer for book based on Milwaukee research” (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
I’m very excited to announce the launch of justshelter.org, which serves as a portal for raising awareness of eviction’s role in perpetuating poverty, for sharing eviction stories, and for locating housing resources. Under the auspices of our design company Flare/ Fade, Noele Lusano and I created the site for Harvard sociologist and 2015 MacArthur Fellow Matthew Desmond. The project was conceived as a companion to Desmond’s book, the just-released “Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City,” which you will likely be hearing about in the coming weeks as Desmond promotes it across the country.
NYU Langone Medical Center has just launched their vastly revamped new website, and I’m happy to have contributed by editing over 1200 photos (and counting) for the project. Now that the site is live, I’m continuing to work as their production designer / retoucher.
1. Added a few new photos from last winter & fall to the gallery. Uploads have been delayed for the usual reasons: a) shooting on 35mm film, b) being somewhat control-freakish about scanning it myself, but also c) having a larger-than-usual backlog.
New photos may be more forthcoming soon, now that I’ve largely switched over to a full frame digital camera. I’m still attached to the grainy, almost-impressionistic look (and the je ne sais quio) that film imparts, but I’ve also begun to discover the Nikon d610’s idiosyncratic charms. I still, though, find myself shooting Polaroids (using Impossible Project film) with the same enthusiasm, so I’ll be keeping one foot in the analog world.
2. Just finished a website for the education leader Paul Perry, who put me through my paces in terms of design bells & whistles. It was an interesting exercise in compiling a lot of disparate textual information into a single-page scrolling format, which I think more commonly lends itself to a flowing narrative, short blurbs and lots of icons and other graphical elements. The solution was to make the longer text passages expandable & collapsible, and to use graphic adornment (such as company / organization logos) wherever possible. He also came up with the idea of embedding his LinkedIn profile, which I think might be a good option for those looking to incorporate a dynamic resume into their personal websites.
Years ago, my friend Noele Lusano gave me an idea: shoot your way twice through the same roll of film, forget about recording any details about the frames, and let synchronicity dictate how the exposures mesh together. The original plan was to share the roll, with her shooting one pass through and me shooting the other. Long story short, we ended up living on opposite coasts, so the idea never materialized. But earlier this year, I finally got around to putting her idea into practice on my own.
As it happened, the first pass was shot in Winter, and the second in Spring (both in Cambridge, MA). So in the second go-round I decided to emphasize inter-seasonal contrasts — and the contrasts there are intense — by focusing my attention on the new flower blooms. The results were sometimes serendipitous:
Nothing about the alignment of the snow-laden tree branch with the flower blooms in the above image was planned, by the way — it’s a testament to the kinds of synchronicity that can result from this process.
I thought I’d continue by sharing the rest of the results of this experiment here, interspersed with tips for those interested in trying it out.